Escape: A Play Excerpt Written in the Propel Writing Program



The following script was authored during the progression of a young artist program called Propel, put together by Westwords, ATYP and The Joan. With the help from experienced writers from these facilities I was able to compose this ten minute excerpt of a play that is to potentially be written at fully length...




ESCAPE
Jackson and Claudia sit cross-legged on the muddy forest floor, facing one another. Claudia has a twig and is digging into the dirt, creating shapes as she speaks. Jackson tears leaves apart that he finds.

Claudia: Are you okay?
Jackson: Yeah
Claudia: Your eyes are puffy
Jackson: oh.
[silence]
Claudia: I drew a picture yesterday… I’ve only got 3 sheets of real art paper left so I’ve had to be mindful. I drew that big puddle, with the leaves and things. There were little worms hiding in the mud and the sun kind of shone right into the water so it was glowing. It was nice.
Jackson: Do you need more paper?
Claudia: I do. I am running out of brown and green paint because that’s like the only colours there are here.
Jackson: We should go get you more paper.
Claudia: You know we can’t leave.
[Silence]
Jackson: Do you miss your sister?
Claudia: I do. But I don’t think she would miss me. I miss Spike. He would have no idea what’s going on.
[Silence]
Do you miss your parents?
Jackson (really thinking): I… I miss being you know… Like they are always talking about how they are proud of me and things … But no. I don’t really. I miss my dog too.
Claudia: Do you remember when I took Spike to the lake and he got the um… The…
Jackson: Yeah
[Silence]
Claudia: Tyler said I should start doing the washing. Cause Nat doesn’t do it properly.
Jackson: It’s hard to do it properly when we aren’t allowed to use soap.
Claudia: I get what he means, soap is really bad for your skin and things.
Jackson: You know he wants to stay forever? I think he will too.
Claudia: He won’t if he is alone. I’m worried for Nat. He hangs off her all day. You know like touching her and things. Grabbing her wrists and like touching her hair and face. He whispers to her a lot.
Jackson: Maybe they’re dating
Claudia: He’s a virgin
Jackson(Shushing her): You can’t say that…I mean he’s not far away from losing it now, since he’s like the king or whatever
Claudia: You think Nat will?
Jackson: Did we say no to coming here with him?
Claudia: We had our reasons.
Jackson: Nat thinks she does too.
Claudia: Jesus. I hope he is nice to her

Enter Tyler. He wears a cape of sorts over his clothes, made of leaves and moss. He walks around, inspecting the place while admiring it.

Tyler: Hi.
Jackson: Hey man
Tyler: Good day isn’t it?
Jackson: It’s a bit muddy but yeah
Tyler: What’s on the agenda today? Done any paintings Clauds?
Jackson: I was uh… Thinking of driving back into town today, get some soap and paint supplies. Maybe a book
[silence]
Tyler: You going home?
Jackson: No. Just to the shops.
Tyler: What about the book? You gonna get that from home?
Jackson: Forget the book. Just a quick drive.
Tyler: You know why we are here right?
Jackson: I…
Tyler: You knew what you were committing to. We came here to get away from all that, the soap and grades and social hierarchies. You’re not going to achieve any emotional awakening if you keep running back there. I just think that for your own good, before you go become a professional cricket player, you get away from it man. You know you write a poem, you have sex, grow your hair out. Forget about it… I’ve drained the petrol from your car anyway… Clauds! How are you?
Claudia: I’m okay
Tyler: Done any pictures?
Claudia: Yeah there’s one hanging by my tent
Tyler: You know you make this place so much more beautiful
Claudia: I think it’s pretty beautiful already
Tyler (flashing a glance to Jackson): No. I really see something special in you. Don’t let anyone tear you away from your dreams. You deserve more.
Claudia: Oh… yeah thanks
Tyler (walking away): You’re a star baby, don’t forget it. (pausing) oh and Jackson, sorry about the soap.. You know how things work here man.

Boy, Claudia and Tyler sit on the floor together, Boy A has a notebook and a dice
Boy A: So you’re walking along the road, you both have full health again. You are just enjoying the scenery, a big beautiful field. The feeling of being with nature is restorative, enlightening. The sun on your skin makes you forget about your troubles. The smell of dew…
Tyler: Okay we get it… Thank you Mother Nature. Let’s get on with it.
Boy: You guys are just so happy to be alive, after defeating the wizard. You find a cave, and you both look very closely at it, because you’re quite far away, and you see a glimmer in the darkness. What do you do?
Tyler: We both go have a look
Claudia: It might be dangerous. I draw my bow
Boy A: Okay. So you get into the cave and you see, sitting towards the back wall, a beautiful new set of armor. You…
Tyler: I run to take it!
Boy A: Okay… Roll for it
Tyler rolls the dice
Boy A: 4. Sorry. You trip on the way and don’t make it. Clauds?
Claudia rolls
Boy A: 20
Claudia: Yes!
Boy A: You go to the suit, you inspect it because you’re an elf and you’re cautious. You see that it is pristine. It is the most powerful suit of armor you have ever seen. You will be invincible if you wear it. And because you rolled a 20, I guess it fits perfectly too. What do you do?
Claudia (cheekily): Well I put it on
Tyler: Hold on! Shouldn’t you share it?
Claudia: Well it only fits me right?
Boy A: Yes, but it could be banged out by your hammer Tyler, and made bigger. It’d lose some of its power though
Tyler: Yeah yeah let’s share!
Claudia: MMmmm
Tyler: Oh come on. Give me the chest piece or something. Please?
Claudia: The chest piece! You must be dreaming! You can have a helmet if you give me your amulet
Tyler: Are you serious?
Claudia (cheekily): Sorry
Tyler(teasing): I push her over!
Boy A hesitates to allow tyler to roll
Tyler: You fall to the ground!
Claudia: Hey what was that for?
Tyler: I use my magic to silence her! We’re gonna fight now bitch
Tyler rolls
Claudia: Is this combat? Should I…?
Boy A shrugs
Tyler: I hit her in the spot where the armor doesn’t cover! In the ribs!
Claudia: Hey! I uh… I kick him away and try to reason with him
Tyler snatches the dice
Tyler(laughing): I rip off her helmet and punch her in the face!
Tyler rolls
Tyler: I punch her again.
Tyler rolls
Tyler: I feel a crack in her nose and I keep punching her!
Claudia: Tyler what the hell!
Tyler: You sure you don’t want to give me the suit?
Claudia: No! Tyler stop. We’re a team!
Tyler: Alright. I stab her in the throat! Claudia you’re dead.
[silence]
Boy A: Tyler I… That’s kind of against the rules
[silence]
Tyler: Oh come on. I was just mucking around, Clauds. You cool?
Claudia: Oh okay. Yeah that’s cool. Haha. funny
Tyler: Sorry. That might have been weird.
Claudia: It’s okay.
Tyler: I feel sick. I have to go.
Exit tyler

Tyler puts a camera on a rock and records himself. He lays on the floor with a bottle of cough syrup in one hand. He is high
Tyler:
This is disgusting. But it makes my eyes feel like cameras, rather than eyes so… I don’t know. Escapism I guess.

S… Some mornings I can’t get out of bed. I know what it sounds like but I mean I really can’t get out of bed. It’s my legs. They will just lock up. I’d wake up all sweaty and I can’t wiggle my toes or anything and its fucking scary. I would say to myself  “okay get out of bed now” and there’d be no response. I’d say “forget about the dream” and I couldn’t do that. And so instead of fighting it I will just go back to sleep. I didn’t want to go to school anyway. It got to a point where I would prepare my breakfast the night before and sit it next to my bed, so that when I wake up and find I can’t move, you know… Once I didn’t move for 4 days but my legs were fine. I was pissing into bottles and watching bowls of cereal pile up on the floor. So there was this big ordeal were mum had to get the neighbors to come and pull be out of bed. It was like a year ago, I’m cool to talk about it. I remember just screaming and crying and holding on to the bed head as these strangers were pulling at my feet. I didn’t have much dignity at the time. I remember when I stood up for the first time I realized how bad I smelled. Like piss and sweat and old milk.

But I’m better now. The mornings are never easy though.

He takes a swig, reacting to the taste

What was I talking about again? Hm… I had something to talk about here. I know I did… Ah! I was very careful about who I invited out here. It was odd at first.  There were about 20 of us and most of them were strangers to me. Not friends before. I think they were just desperate to get out of school. Our school was intense. It was terrifying. The fact that a quarter of their graduating class packed up and went missing should be evidence enough of how it was. Everyone was so scared and now look how happy they’ve become. So I’m kind of like “you’re welcome guys”. Ha. Of course they had to warm up to me at first and learn, you know, who I am, what the mission here is. I reckon what I’ve achieved here is pretty impressive. Right? There’s a reverence for nature and emotion and art here that I don’t think any of them knew that they had inside of them. And I’m proud of them for finding that. But I’ve lost a few. I guess the weak just drop off like flies. So there’s 8 left. Hiding is still as easy as always. A few days ago one of us spotted an officer and a dog and I guess they were looking for us. Obviously, because I’m still here, we dodged it. I’m not going it let this be torn apart by someone other than me.

He drinks again

Where was I? Well between you and me; Jackson… He’s not my favourite. I was hoping he’d leave while he could, I invited him for the muscle-factor. I wanted a well-rounded community. I don’t know what it is about him, he will stand around with his big arms, just staring into space. He’s just an oaf. I’d like to think that what we’re doing here is a little more intelligent. I also think he’s bringing bad vibes. Going around spreading negativity, telling everyone all these lies about what is happening here, making things seem worse than they are. He’s not good for morale and you know, I have to do what’s good for my people. I’m not going it let this be torn apart by someone other than me



Jackson is franticly rummaging through Claudia’s things
Claudia: What are you doing?
Jackson: I’m packing up. We aren’t staying here.
Claudia: What? Slow down. Why?
Jackson: Can you just help me and then I will explain?
Claudia: What’s going on Jackson
Jackson (whispering): I just saw nat. Have you seen her today?
Claudia: No. What’s going on?
Jackson: Hold this. She’s covered in bruises. Tyler has flogged her
Claudia: Are you serious?
Jackson: We’re going
Claudia: Hold up. Hold up. Are you sure? Do you know why?
Jackson: Because he’s a fucking psychopath, Clauds
Claudia: I think we just need to calm down. It mightn’t be what it looks like. Can you just stop for a minute
Jackson: Why do you want to stay here?
Claudia: Didn’t he drain your car?
Jackson: He lied.
Claudia: I want to see Nat.
Jackson: Why do you want to stay here?
Claudia: I don’t know! You’re scaring me!
Jackson: Can you not be a sheep for once! Come on!

Enter Tyler

Tyler: Jackson. What’s going on? The ground wet or something
Jackson: Look man I know this is important to you but Claudia and I are going back home.
Tyler: Why is that?
Jackson: It’s just gone too far. We need to go home
Tyler: Are you shitting me? You’re not going man!
Jackson: Where’s Nat, Tyler?
[silence]
Jackson: As soon as I’m done here I am packing up her stuff too, and Jordan’s, and Emily’s and everyone else’s’. Sorry. This is done
Tyler: Jackson, no one else is leaving. You can piss of. But you aren’t taking anyone else. Including Claudia
Jackson (holding Claudia’s hand): Move Tyler
Tyler pulls a small knife out of his pocket
Tyler: Leave
Exit Jackson
Tyler (putting his knife away): I am so fucking disappointed in you Clauds


Enter 6 others (the rest of the group) and gather in a circle around Tyler and Claudia. They stand surrounding them for a moment, then they sit.

Tyler: Oh jeez… Are we ready to get started? … Cool.  (Composing himself) Okay uh…
Welcome to this weeks showcase! Um let’s have a round of applause!
So as you can see I’ve got some paintings hanging around for this one, thankyou Clauds. I think that we will have a couple of new poems read out, someon’e going to play guitar but umm… Lets have a moment of silence first. Put your hands out to the fire and really feel that warmth. Thank you Mother Nature.
All: Thank you Mother Nature
Tyler: Okay! Just a reminder that I am looking for ideas for a play we could put on as a group. Maybe something classical. No Shakespeare! I don’t want to have to remind you about my seminar in week 3

[laughter]

Tyler: But yes, if anyone has any ideas about a play we could have a go at please let me know, preferably something with a strong male lead. Umm… Yeah cool. So here’s the first showcase, Madison and Claudia have come up with a dance. There’s also Hayden on the guitar and Julie on the sticks. Give it up for them.

The dance is performed