Script - When I Grow Up


One of the assessment tasks I've had to do for drama at school was to submit a five minute script that I have written and looking at it now ( I am still yet to get my results back for it but I may post them... maybe) I really like the concept and the characters that I have created. I think that if the circumstances were different and I had more freedom with length and subject I could have created something even more fun.
I've decided to post it so I can get a sense of what it's like to share something that I am relatively proud of and what kind of response it will get, if it gets any at all.
I just hope to God I can work out how to post this extremely large document without spamming...
Comment what you think!








When I Grow Up






By Brianna McCarthy

























When I Grow Up
Characters, Lighting, Sounds, Sets

CHARACTERS:
HARRISON: Harrison is a 6 year old boy who spends most of his time learning new things on mum’s computer and watching Monty Python dvd’s. He holds a superiority complex towards other children his age because he is much smarter and more thoughtful. Harrison considers himself an adult and likes to be in charge. Although he would never admit it, he dearly looks up to his older brother and wants to interact with him the way that Tom interacts with his friends and be seen as an adult.
TOM: Tom is a 16 year old boy who dresses mainly in black clothes with jeans that are a bit too tight. He listens to angry metal music and plays an electric guitar. Tom is often irritated by Harrison’s attitude but knows that Harrison wants to spend time with him and that it makes him happy when Tom is agreeing and listening to everything Harrison has to say.

Sets: In this scene the stage is laid out as the dining/ living area of a middle class home. In the center stage there is a couch with a television (faced towards the couch) in front of it. There is an armchair on the right of the couch angled towards the television.

Lighting: In this scene, the entire stage should be well lit with simple yellow/white toned lights and with the main lighting being over the center stage where the sets are

Sound: This scene has sound cues of lines from ‘Monty Python’s Flying Circus’ ‘Dead Parrot’ sketch. All lines from TELEVISION are to be played from the sound box


















Scene 1
Harrison has 2 friends from school upstairs (offstage) playing.
(scene opens with Tom sitting on the armchair watching the Television)
*lights up*
*HARRISON enters*
HARRISON
Tom, why don’t we have netflix?
TOM
What?
*HARRISON sits on seat closest to TOM*
HARRISON
The year six kids at school say that in America they get to watch any TV show they want, whenever they want, because they have Netflix. But we don’t get that in Australia.
TOM
We can still watch things on the internet
HARRISON
In mediocre quality but
TOM
Is that a new word?
HARRISON
Aha


TOM
Well I suppose they’re working on getting us Netflix. Why aren’t you upstairs with your friends?
HARRISON
I need a break from those idiots for a moment
TOM
That’s not very nice, Harrison. They’re your guests
HARRISON
Did you know that Jackson thinks the sun goes to sleep at night?
TOM
He’s six, Harrison
HARRISON
So am I... My teacher says I have an advanced mind. We are the same age but that doesn’t mean we are on the same level
TOM
So you need a break?
HARRISON
Aha... Tom? Did you know that George from the Beatles gave Monty Python four million dollars?
TOM
What? No
HARRISON
Right. Well I read on mum’s computer that he gave them four million dollars to help make Life of Brian and the movie ended up making 20 million dollars at the movies
TOM
That’s cool Harry. Did he get any money back from it?
HARRISON
Hmmm. I don’t know. Do you want me to find out?
TOM
No that’s all right
HARRISON
Well did you know that five thousand people dressed up as knights and stuff to make the world’s biggest coconut orchestra and they made the clip clop sound that
HARRISON demonstrates
with the coconuts like the horse bit in Holy Grail.
TOM
No I didn’t. That’s cool Harry
HARRISON
I really like Monty Python, Tom. You’re the only person who I like to talk about it with, though... and Mum
TOM
I don’t know that much about them either
Silence
Why don’t you go back upstairs now. Your friends are probably wondering where you went
HARRISON
Fine. I’ve got a dvd in if you want to watch it
HARRISON exits
TOM turns on the TELEVISION and watches ‘Monty Python’s Flying Circus’ - ‘Dead Parrot’ sketch
TELEVISION
I WISH TO FILE A COMPLAINT, HELLO MISS... WHAT DO YOU MEAN MISS?... SORRY I HAVE A COLD
TOM laughs but is distracted by his phone
HARRISON enters, screaming and crying
HARRISON
TOM!!
TOM
WHAT?! WHAT’S WRONG?
HARRISON holds out his arm and cries
TELEVISION
IT’S DEAD THAT’S WHAT’S WRONG
HARRISON
I think my arm is broken! It hurts Tom!
TOM
Oh my god! Okay! Can you move it!
TELEVISION
THERE! IT MOVED!... NO IT DIDN’T! HELLOOOO POLLY! POLLLYYY!
TOM
What happened?
HARRISON
They bit me!
TOM
They bit you?!
TELEVISION
IT’S DEAD
HARRISON
Those idiots bit me! I told you kids were bad news!
lights black
TELEVISION
THIS IS AN EX-PARROT

end of scene